Super Why! Cupcakes — our grand finale of the week!
These were so much fun to make — as someone who had never heard of Super Why before this party, I couldn’t have been happier with the end result! I made these cupcake toppers two nights before the big party, to give the fondant time to dry so that they would be stable enough to place on the cupcakes the day of the event. I dedicated an entire night to these guys — making 24 toppers in total, 6 of each of the main characters:
I actually had the best luck figuring out the designs — I found a coloring book at a Half-Priced Books (by accident) — and right inside was a growth chart with the characters images in color; this is what I used to base my images. This was my first try at detailed fondant toppers, the first time (at all) being for the Elephant Baby Shower (and those were just simple cut outs, with the mini-elephant cutter already available — punch and go).
I should have taken some action photos — I apologize! But these are much more simple than you’d think, and really the only tools you need are some basic cookie cutters (or even tools available from your kitchen) — the fondant, and some parchment paper for drying.
I colored my fondant into the four background colors, using food gels (blue, pink and purple — red was purchased colored), rolled out the fondant (to about 1/8th inch), cut out all of my rounds (about 2 and 1/4 inch), and put those aside to start drying. Next I started with Super Why — deciding how detailed I wanted to get, and then jumped in! I made a list of all the colors I would need for the details; did all of the coloring at once (Lee helped with this step — strong hands!) — then cut my details, starting with the eyes (using a standard icing tip for perfect circles), and finally the surrounding details. I used cookie cutters I had available to make small cuts and adjustments, to transform into the shapes I wanted. And once I was happy with my first version — I would copy those steps for the remaining 5 rounds, and then move onto the next character.
I used the tiniest food-safe paintbrush to paint on the black and white details (using black and white food gel coloring — yes, white!), used disco dust to sparkle up the Princess’ crown, and used a little bit of water to attach the details (once the fondant started drying). I used Satin Ice fondant — which is my favorite to work with, and best tasting (like marshmallow). (Tip – I do have a gumpaste flower kit, which has many odd shapes and curves cutters, which I used for a lot of the cuts — just making adjustments with a sharp knife or another cutter to get the shape I wanted).
We ended up with 50 cupcakes, and 2 dozen Super-Gage themed cake pops! (Actually we ended up with much more cupcakes than that — at the end of the weekend, my math skills were failing — I took the extras over to my parents, who then took them to work — thank you mom).
P.S. — A fun (ok, hilarious) fact: By accident, each character had an “evil” version. Just look at the above pics — you can spot them, I’m sure. Wonder Red is the most obvious. I think it had to do with the eyebrow placement (I don’t have tweezers, so it was all by hand — sometimes things ended up where they were dropped, whether or not it looked.. evil). Here’s the cheat sheet, in case you didn’t believe me.. (and let’s just say, a few more might be working for the dark side).